Saturday, May 8, 2010

I’ll Show you Mine if You Show me Yours

I've been blogging for three years - well 3 years and 6 days but who is counting.  According to my stats I average 21 visits per day.  21 is a nice number - I mean it's the age to (legally) drink so that's nice? Right? Not really because I'm thinking when you take that number and take out a few given numbers we go into the teens.

We have my mom, who I'm thinking accounts for at least 3 of those hits - like meal time she refreshes through out the day, my in-laws (hey!), I hear C has a friend from college whose mom reads, at least 2 of C's coworker, my co-worker and loyal bloggyfriend and MyMy.  Hey all. Welcome back.

The other 11 people... glad to have you. Truly.  I know there are others that read or come by to see what's going on - maybe not on the regular but you're here. What up. I get emails, texts, or FB messages assuring me you are here. Holla.

Numbers are funny.  Until the other day I had 9 followers, officially. I'm up to 13 and couldn't be more thrilled. Oh wait, I could. How'd I jump?

A friend of mine,  Wombat Ward, blogging 3 days brought you here. Sure. I haven't moved across the world - fair enough.  But for serious what do I need to do to get a comment on this bad boy? Oh wait. I know - my poor dog has to be on a decline to get some life lines out there.

Oh no my reflection is appearing angry when really it's all about happiness right now.  Here's the thing, I've been writing for me - truly only for me.  That said I wouldn't lie that it doesn't make me skip around the house when I get a comment or two. How can I increase that?  How can I write in a way that compels you, the lurker, to delurk?  From Wikipedia, the definition of a lurker:  In Internet culture, a lurker is a person who reads discussions on a message boardnewsgroupchatroomfile sharing or other interactive system, but rarely or never participates actively. Research indicates that “lurkers make up over 90% of online groups” (Nonnecke & Preece 2000).  There is a National Delurker Day - and we'll get there but who am I to move up the holidays?

Instead I'm going to do something about it - first by asking and reminding you to comment every once in awhile.  Let me know you are out there you creepy voyeur. Why not? Aren't my welcoming words helping? Second I'm going to marry my personal and professional passions and I'm going to learn how to make this happen.  I'll be networking, do some hands on learning ... fun and fabulous opportunities I can't even stand it (in a GREAT way).  I got the nod from BlogHer '10.  Holl.ER.  Mozel Tov to ME! Even better? I get to go with a friend who is just as goofy excited as me. And by Goofy I mean Snoopy.

11 comments:

  1. LOL! I guess I am a lurker kind of gal :) I like how you write, honest and funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am TOTALLY a lurker - but I'm going to try to walk the walk so stay tuned. I'm going to be commenting like a mad woman! OH and try not to sound mad like pissed more so mad like the crazy/wild side! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to peek into other peoples lives (what I thought was a non creepy kind of way) Now I find out that I've been lurking! I hate to be unoriginal so I have vowed to break away from the masses and delurk. Here I am Jen, count me as a hit. Always a great read :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a lurker and not even the kind that counts in your stats...i read via google reader so i don't even technically go to your page. i'll try to remember to log in post a comment now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HA - a lurker that doesn't count is a lurker just the same! HA. thanks all/ way to succumb to peer pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will commment at all times because I agree that a comment reassures me that people are reading my silly antics and you are FAR more hilarious than me. :) I would also be nothing without your help so you deserve all the credit. My followers are your followers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a friend who monetized her blog on here. If you want some info, I can hit her up about it. Also, forgive me (This is what I went to school for.), but do you ever proofread? The familiar tone and stream of consciousness is what makes the blog awesome. But, something not uncommon in blogs, you write for you and skip a piece of info others might need. Anyway, if you are taking this thing up a notch, it's just something to think about. PS- I'm just sitting here with two degrees in journalism if you ever need any help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. MyMy you rock my world. Forgive ME - but if I say I do proofread am I totally f'd? I DO - but maybe sometimes not a lot or maybe sometimes I overlook things? I'll totally keep what you are saying in mind / and yes. I do want help - any pointers, thoughts, feedback/etc - open to it all. Though that said - some of "it" / is just me and the way I write - which I do want to step up with out loosing 'me' in it? You know? We'll have to schedule a tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahahaha! The stalkers are all surfacing! Lurker is too tame a word. I much pref. stalker. So much more...gritty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do I count as a lurker if you know I'm here but I don't comment? I think I should go with Sierra's recommendation and be a stalker. It's creepier cause you know I'm here and watching but never saying anything. I'll get better.

    ReplyDelete

Use your words. You can do it, put your back into it.

I apologize I have use word verification. Stupid spam-bots. Fist in the air, it's all your fault.

(c) 2007 all rights reserved. aka don't be a D and swipe any content, photos, etc - sucka. Should you be tempted, let me know so I can be flattered and then give me something write about.