Thursday, October 28, 2010

This Fattie Wants to Make Out

Have you seen or heard about the big fat hoopla over at Marie Claire? Long story short some yahoo (who admittedly has body image issues and a dangerous history with anorexia) wrote a post, published through Marie Claire about how overweight people shouldn't make out on TV (commentary on a new TV show that I have never seen, Mike & Molly) because (and I'm quoting) 
"So anyway, yes, I think I'd be grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other ... because I'd be grossed out if I had to watch them doing anything. To be brutally honest, even in real life, I find it aesthetically displeasing to watch a very, very fat person simply walk across a room — just like I'd find it distressing if I saw a very drunk person stumbling across a bar or a heroine addict slumping in a chair."
I don't want to link to the donkey. But I guess if I don't the following won't make sense. Much like her post. I'm likely going to comment on a ton of her donkey remarks because I just can't help it.  I would, however, like to point you to and link the hell out of the best damn response to her post that I ever did see. 

TwoBusy
over at MamaPop * discovered* some unpublished drafts to the original post.  You should check it

Ok, not as funny is my response to the whole thing. I actually commented on the article, despite being forced to make an account with the rat bastards of Marie Clarie. Which, I implore you to re-think ever buying again. It seems dramatic, doesn't it? While I'm all for the drama at times, I assure you I am not over exaggerating this here. Donkey.


Here's the thing. I DO actually believe that everyone has a right to express they opinion, however donkey it is. Truly. 100%. I think why this excursion of her right irritates me to no end is the mode in which the message was delivered. Through a women's magazine. Like we don't have enough issues and then she is allowed to (and this unnamed VP of Donkeyville or editor or whatever) push the publish button.  I'm not IT person or know much at all about the publishing world, but I'm thinking for her story to get published through a major magazine, that someone had to do it for her - I'm assuming it isn't as easy as Blogger or WordPress where you just press "publish." Someone OK'd this. Someone thought it was a good idea. Let's pretend for FUN that it slipped through the cracks that someone didn't read the text of the post that had such hits as:
  • "Now, don't go getting the wrong impression: I have a few friends who could be called plump. I'm not some size-ist jerk." 
  • "What do you guys think? Fat people making out on TV — are you cool with it? Do you think I'm being an insensitive jerk?"
  • "And while I think our country's obsession with physical perfection is unhealthy, I also think it's at least equally crazy, albeit in the other direction, to be implicitly promoting obesity!"
    • Side note: no one is "promoting obesity" just a show about people who are overweight / probably medically obese - being happy. God forbid. And holy crap, they make out. Let's hope that's all they do. 

OK back to our pretend world where someone wasn't doing their job and didn't read at up to 6 sentences and actually caught one of the 6-10 sentences that wasn't obesely offensive. The title is:  Should "Fatties" Get a Room? (Even on TV?)
Inside and *discovered* picture of her creative process.

Long story long,  my disgust, though may seem is directed at her - is really for the whole kit and caboodle of Marie Claire. 


I don't know if she or anyone will really read the comment I left on the site.  As I typed it out I realized 99.9% of what I was writing was more for my own sanity than it was for her benefit or education, thus this post was born.  
I went back and forth with to comment or not. Ultimately I wanted them to know, hoping there would a chance that someone over at that circus would read it, even if it was a peon Donkey,  Marie Claire lost a few customers in my household.  Is L buying magazines? No, but home girl will be advised against it once she becomes legal to purchase such crap.   Does that matter to them? Who knows. 

To add insult to injury, the author updated her post with an apology. Even that was redickOHdonkey (definition: so ridiculous it's donkey ridiculous). Her suspected forced apology was even out of control.  Apparently the author has had body image issues for the better part of her life (welcome to the club) and this has become dangerously extreme as she battled with anorexia (which apparently in her mind is a disease, but not obesity, but she's not a 'size-ist' whatever that is) - anyway this fact "could" have something to do with her opinions on weight. You think? Even that irritates me. She might as well have said,
"So sorry fat people, but I can't help but force the need for thin, I can't help it. " Meanwhile, back at the Donkey Ranch another piece of her irritating original post was where she advised people who are overweight with sage advice like looking at nutrition labels, eat more fiber and exercise. Holy crap - the holy grail of weight loss. Eureka! Oh and then she follows up her advice with: "YOU CAN DO IT!" Jesus christ, skinny mini, you're right when you put it in caps, I really BELIEVE IT!

Now to be fair, I'm not morbidly 
obese, at least I don't think so - I think I'm just obese not morbidly? Not sure.  I have more to love, let's put it that way.  As someone who has been forever dealing with weight - loss and gain all I want to do is smack her. Like really knock her out. I have forever been surrounding by friends and family dealing with body image and wanting to change the way they look.  Why? For health reasons or just plain superficial reasons. If they aren't trying to loose weight today, they will be trying tomorrow - they will change their lifestyle, they will live and die by their nutritional labels and will do what they can on physical activity - whether it's get a trainer, go to the gym or just walk more -they are always going to try. Let's pretend they don't. Let's pretend all of us fatties are just sitting around and eating ice cream and packing in the carbs, riding our people movers around to avoid exerting ourself. Do we not DESERVE love? Or just some plain action? Because it makes the skinny girls sad or squimish? Turn your god damn head. Donkey, what KIND of person does deserve to make out? What KIND of person can you deal with finding love? Or forget love - again - just a good old fashion tussle. A) why are you watching? B) Who CAN get a little action in your book? Apparently you can't watch "them" do much of anything? Shall we all become shut ins that will need to be lifted from our home eventually - destined to be confined to our home because of your weak ass stomach? 

Anyway, so then she "apologizes" and I think this is where I got the most angry, I'm fairly certain I blacked out in rage.

"But perhaps I shouldn't be so quick to judge based on superficial observations."

Perhaps? Really, you go in with an apology with perhaps you shouldn't be judgmental? Perhaps.

I'm not calling for her resignation or anyones really.  There should have been some BIG OLD 'disclaimer' stating the blog post was the author's (ridiculous and however much I disagree with them) opinion - and she has a right to have them. Like I said, I think what makes me so angry is how it is backed up by a woman's magazine.  She could have written it on a personal blog and I would have thought she was being a donkey and wrong. It's posted on a recognized women's magazine and blog site? 


I have the most intense and absolutely sickening disrespect and disappointment in an industry - and frankly humans. Why so dramatic? Because as PEOPLE and HUMANS in the world today - representing women - we deserve better than what they provided us with - and that choice was made. So yeah, PERHAPS she should back up her fellow women, PERHAPS she should be respectful. PERHAPS she should be an example.


Rant is now over, me and my overweight self is going to go and make out now. Cover your eyes, Tiny - I don't know how you'll feel about overweight people making out, dressed in drag as women who are the super skinny you think we should all be - so consider yourself warned.



The Olsens get REAL




(ps Halloween 2006... it's not REALLY them!)


7 comments:

  1. Um, that article is ridiculous. Your post hit every point right on and I think you should send in your resume/writing samples and offer to take her job! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Though I'm fairly sure Marie Clarie is only in the business of publishing crap, not crap that is clever because it pokes fun at their crap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I read this I thought....you are such an amazing writer...you need to quit your job and WRITE WRITE WRITE!!! Love you!!! (it's liz....not anonymous...but I'm not sure what "profile" to pic....I'm behind a couple years!!!! This is why your blog scares me...hahah justkidding!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Liz, I love that you identified yourself. I'm at a loss with these comments... I don't know how to make it easier? Angela... Anonymous 1 who ARE you?! ;) Thanks, all, for the compliments. Much appreciated- I sure can be witty when pissed off enough. Don't cross me. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link, and yes: both Ms. Kelly and the web editorial staff at Marie Claire should feel deeply ashamed about that post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for writing about nerdy sweatered gay Americans. It's an issue I find often overlooked!

    ReplyDelete

Use your words. You can do it, put your back into it.

I apologize I have use word verification. Stupid spam-bots. Fist in the air, it's all your fault.

(c) 2007 all rights reserved. aka don't be a D and swipe any content, photos, etc - sucka. Should you be tempted, let me know so I can be flattered and then give me something write about.