Abelle is in the hospital. It's a long story - but the long and short of it is - on Sunday night she jumped on our bed and fell on her back on the hard wood floor. And no, I didn't push her. I wasn't in there so she wanted in before I got into bed. She jumped back up - and all seemed to be fine. She got down with no issues when I came in - and in the morning she seemed OK.
Fast forward, at 8:30 am C noticed she was limping a bit in her back legs. 8:45 am they get back from their morning walk and she couldn't get up the stairs. By 9am she lost complete use of her back legs. She "walked" into my office and use the term walk loosely. She came in with her front legs, dragging ass. Literally dragging her ass and her front legs steering the ship.
At 9:30 am, C took her into Urgent Care and at 11:30 am he got home. Things were not going well. She ruptured a disk in her back, basically her back legs. She can't walk yet - her back legs don't work. I went to visit her yesterday - and she seems better, minus the whole back legs not working. For a day she was in ICU. Yes, this exists at an animal hospital. They asked C if she should be DNR if she went into cardiac arrest. Yes, this exists at an animal hospital. It has been awful.
They are saying for 100% recovery that she should have a surgery. Easy, right? Wrong. The cost of the surgery, which she is an excellent candidate for, would run us over 10K. That's right. $10,000. To start.
Alternatively, if she starts walking surgery isn't necessary - but leaves her susceptible for something like this to happen again, which means she has to have a 'lifestyle' change. How do I go about that talk with her? A dog. Sit her down and have a serious chat? No more jumping. Hilarious. In the most un-funny way.
They told us on Monday that by day three we will need to make a decision – if surgery right away isn’t an option we can wait it out. On day three, a decision may need to be made, if no improvements are made. Tomorrow is day three.
The doctor says when she came in on Monday she was in excruciating pain, they thought she was a mean dog. “Nothing worse than treating a horribly mean dog.” Turns out she isn’t mean, she was just in horrible pain. She isn't in any more pain. That said, she on just about 10 pain medications. Last time I was involved in hospitalization I found out by accident that detox is a real thing that anyone can be admitted into. Why should a dog be any different than a baby? Who knew babies could be hooked on drugs?
In addition to the pain pills, she is popping (or actually being intravenously given) she is on 'anti-inflammatory' medications- so we're hoping she will respond to that. Time is not our friend right now though, tomorrow is day three. The doctors say yesterday that it looks hopeful she will respond to the medications, where as in the beginning they weren't sure. Today, a new doctor called – she didn’t seem as optimistic.
I couldn't visit her today. I know she is a dog, and probably isn't counting hours - but I went for a visit yesterday and today I literally didn't have 20 minutes to spare. C is traveling and L is home now - bringing her with me is quite possibly the worst idea I could have. Another bad idea? Thinking about life with a monetary price tag on it. The bottom line is - and let me preface this I am not trying to get a one way ticket to hell - I know how this movie ends. This is how this is going to play out if we get the surgery. Approximately 2-5 weeks later home girl will be struck by a car or get cancer - something completely unavoidable, much like jumping on the bed and falling down.