Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A New Day

This year I voted in my first election and won. You can thank me later. Today, you could literally feel the difference in the air. I listened to his speech over the radio but to watch hundreds of my co-workers gather around televisions set up through out the building brought a visual of the excitement for people around me. Did we watch 4 years ago? Why would we? But was the option there? I honestly don't think so, I don't know if this kind of energy has existed before. Was it because we had given up?

"On this day, we come to proclaim an end to the petty grievances and false promises, the recriminations and worn-out dogmas, that for far too long have strangled our politics."

While I am certain change is not going to come overnight it's an feeling that has changed. That change is possible. Yes, we can. When my children picture a President they will have a catalogue of pictures to choose from. I wonder how the first family feels tonight. Did they know in their hearts that this would come true or if they doubted for a moment if Americans were ready to put their votes where their mouth was? Did they know what their part in our history they would be?

"This is the meaning of our liberty and our creed -- why men and women and children of every race and every faith can join in celebration across this magnificent Mall, and why a man whose father less than 60 years ago might not have been served at a local restaurant can now stand before you to take a most sacred oath."

I could listen to our President talk for hours and while I may not agree with everything he has on the agenda, I do believe that to be inspired is a step in the right direction. This year we came to a cross roads and it feels we started on a new path. Maybe it's naive to put that kind of pressure on a person, but I do truly believe it's more of an idea and a movement of thinking than just one person. He inspires people and has inspired me.

"Our challenges may be new. The instruments with which we meet them may be new. But those values upon which our success depends -- hard work and honesty, courage and fair play, tolerance and curiosity, loyalty and patriotism -- these things are old. These things are true."

My daugther's first year continues with a change that while she doesn't understand yet I hope she will grow up differently as a result of it. A new generation of change has a leader and I will happily fall in line.

"Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested, we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back, nor did we falter; and with eyes fixed on the horizon and God's grace upon us, we carried forth that great gift of freedom and delivered it safely to future generations."


1 comment:

  1. Very nicely said Jen! Home girl got the moves and grooves just like Mr President! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Use your words. You can do it, put your back into it.

I apologize I have use word verification. Stupid spam-bots. Fist in the air, it's all your fault.

(c) 2007 all rights reserved. aka don't be a D and swipe any content, photos, etc - sucka. Should you be tempted, let me know so I can be flattered and then give me something write about.