Sunday, February 8, 2009

Secret Level

In coming home on Friday night C & I commented on how glorious the weekend would be. We had some serious television cued up on the dVr. Oooh how glorious it would be.

First on the line up, some Top Chef. At the beginning of the first act they are skinning eels and due to my beautiful wife's skeeved reaction to snakes I pressed pause and awaited him to return to the fun. In the wait for the return, homeslice took the wheel. As she played with the remote which she loves so much something happened. Something horrible. Something unspeakable.

"mode is not supported"

All over the TV screen with every remote button touched "mode is not supported" was displayed.

Something like this has happened before and in calling comcast we were helped, this time however was not quite as easy. I called once, was on for 15 - 20 minutes in between holding and restarting the cable box. No dice. The representative on the other line said I had to talk to Samsung. He connected me to the representative that would be the answer to my prayers. I got disconnect.

I called Comcast back, talked to another representative- 12 more minutes of holding and waiting and I was informed the previous rep was trying to save me $29.95 to have a technician come out and take 2 minutes to fix my problem. 2nd guy was going to give me the number 1st guy was going to give me - while I waited I thought maybe I could fix my own problem by unplugging everything and starting from scratch. In doing that - and on my home line, I inadvertently disconnected myself to the 2nd guy.

I decided to take matters into my own hands and called Samsung. After 18 minutes of holding and waiting I was told that the problem was in fact, cable related. I needed to call Comcast (again) adn tell them to change the electro-somethings that were being transmitted through my cable box.

I called Comcast (again) and spoke with the 3rd and final representative. The way to fix the problem, from home, with out having a technician come out was to press the menu button really hard and then fast fast fast and a hidden menu would appear.

Like a Nintendo game secret level I had to find the hidden menu. I asked #3 if this was a joke, but alas it was not.

Both C & I tried to find the hidden level and to no avail. We had to make an appointment for the technician to come out and of course, as luck would have it we "just" missed an appointment for this weekend and since this isn't an emergency and the signal is not the problem we wouldn't get an appointment that is at a higher level of urgency.

No cable. No dVr. Nadda until Tuesday.

It's pretty sad how crippling this whole no cable thing is. Back to basics it is - so we rented a bunch of (awful) movies and I am (thinking of) starting a new book. I'm gun shy, to be honest. What about my addiction problem? Can I afford to loose another few weeks of my life? Of my precious sleep?

It's my own fault for not having learned from my mistakes. Homeslice is adorable but let's be honest, she is no good with the technology. She's cursed. Maybe the non-cable thing is a sign that we should be more productive, although I'm thinking it is we shouldn't let L play with whatever she screams about.

4 comments:

  1. I apologize for the experience.

    I work for Comcast and I would like to make sure that the problem is corrected on Tuesday. Please feel free to send me the phone number on the account so that I can assist.

    Best Regards,

    Mark Casem
    Comcast Corp.
    National Customer Operations
    We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy F. is my blog getting phished? good lord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, so did that Comcast comment turn out to be for real? Because that might mean they actually believe in providing decent customer service and I don't think I can change everything I know about Comcast to accept that possible reality.

    BTW - I can't sleep and bored and I stumbled upon your blog. You should definitely write a book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, I do not believe Comcast could possibly be trolling the Internet trying to do right by their customers. The email is phishy - I will not be fooled & hacked. In other news - thanks for the big ups but I'm thinking at 2am you are more likely deliriously tired than qualified for book review. HA.

    ReplyDelete

Use your words. You can do it, put your back into it.

I apologize I have use word verification. Stupid spam-bots. Fist in the air, it's all your fault.

(c) 2007 all rights reserved. aka don't be a D and swipe any content, photos, etc - sucka. Should you be tempted, let me know so I can be flattered and then give me something write about.